For Immediate Release June 3, 2019
Habitat for Humanity of the San Juans (HFHSJ) invites proposals for the preparation of its yearly audited financial statements and related filings, for a three-year period beginning with the 2018 fiscal year ending 2020. Our organization does not currently require a federal single audit. The audit of Habitat for Humanity of the San Juans’s financial statements must be performed in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
HFHSJ is a 501(c)(3) organization. Our mission is to improve the lives of individuals and families in need by building and renovating basic, affordable homes while educating and advocating for housing resources in the San Juan Region. Programs include:
- ReStore- a retail operation
- Affiliate operations
HFHSJ has received government funding from the USDA and Colorado Department of Local Affairs in the past and is currently striving to increase government funding as a revenue item. We have fifteen full-time employees and one part-time employee. Our office is located at 1601 N. Townsend Avenue. Our 2017 revenue totaled $1,150,759.
HFHSJ requires the following services:
- Annual financial statement audit
- Preparation of IRS form 990
- Preparation of Charitable Organization Annual Report for the State of Colorado
- Management letter
All of the above must be completed within 120 days of the end of each fiscal year, in order for our Board to review each document prior to its submission to the appropriate recipients. In addition, HFHSJ requires that a meeting of the auditors and selected HFHSJ board and staff members be held to discuss a draft version of the financial statements and that the auditors meet at least yearly with the Board of Directors’ finance/audit committee.
All proposals must include:
- Evidence of the firm’s qualifications to provide the above services
- Background and experience in auditing nonprofit clients
- The size and organizational structure of the auditor’s firm
- Statement of the firm’s understanding of work to be performed, including tax and non-audit services
- A proposed timeline for fieldwork and final reporting
- Proposed fee structure for each of the three years of the proposal period, including whatever guarantees can be given regarding increases in future years, and the maximum fee that would be charged
- Describe your billing rates and procedures for technical questions that may come up during the years, or whether these occasional services are covered in the proposed fee structure
- Names of the partner, audit manager, and field staff who will be assigned to our audit and provide biographies
- A copy of your firm’s most recent peer review report, the related letter of comments, and the firm’s response to the letter of comments, and
- References and contact information from at least three comparable nonprofit audit clients.
Your proposal must be received by June 17, 2019 by 4:30 pm. Proposals should be addressed to Habitat for Humanity of the San Juans, C/O Erica Weeks, Executive Director. Send to PO Box 162, Montrose, CO 81402. The finance/audit committee will review all proposals and make a recommendation regarding the choice of auditors to the full board of directors at the June 20, 2019 board meeting.
If you have any questions or would like further clarification of any aspect of this request for bid, please contact Erica Weeks at 970-252-9303 X 5 or Erica@buildinglives.org. We look forward to receiving your proposal.
Erica Weeks, Executive Director